Thursday, September 27, 2007

Public Transportation

Man, its fun. Today waiting for the #36 Broadway Bus I was sitting at the bus stop with an older woman and two girls I presumed to be hers. The girls were a prime example of polar opposites. One was very clean cut and seemed most intent on being a 'good girl' and pleasing her mother (grandmother?). This often led to reprimanding the other girl, who was very slovenly looking and seemed to march to the beat of her own drum, maintaining a distance from her mother and sister (?). Neither girl looked to be more than 7 years old. I ended up sitting across from them on the bus, and watched a variety of events unfold as they attempted to find seats on a very crowded bus. The mother definitely had lost patience for both girls and was letting them run wild on the bus, in exchange for some much needed shut-eye, much to the chagrin of the other passengers, and yet for a lot of them, it was just another day on the bus.

At the same time, the girl next to me on the bus was recounting to her friend a very recent break-up and how she was feeling about all of that, which of course triggered some very powerful emotions in me as I struggled not to eavesdrop. Her friend obviously was struggling with how to comfort her, and took the alternate route of simply gossiping about other friends as opposed to comforting in any way.

All the while a dissheveled looking homeless man is looming over me, looking obviously perturbed about the little girls running around, and at the same time rolling a joint which I seriously thought he might light on the bus.

I'm (probably) buying a bike tomorrow.